Tips and Tricks We’ve Compiled Over Years of Helping Bay Area Residents Relocate
Packing and moving companies (like Movers N Shakers) are experts at relocating a household’s belongings from point A to point B, partly because we study our craft and keep track of strategies that work well and those that don’t. Here are some of the best tips and tricks we’ve collected in our effort toward greater efficiency and security of our customer’s belongings. Utilize these moving tips to help you make a smooth transition into your new home or office.
Before You Pack
- Take photographs of how your television, computers and other electronics are wired, so these set ups will be easy to duplicate later.
- Defrost refrigerators and free-standing freezers at least a day in advance, and wipe them dry. Eliminate or at least minimize moisture to avoid creating conditions for mold and mildew and other nastiness.
- Learn what items a moving company is not allowed to transport; then sell, give away, or make other arrangements for moving these items.
- Make sure you have adequate parking for a moving van at your current and new homes, obtaining permits if needed.
- Check manufacturer’s requirements for moving appliances, so they arrive in working order.
- Pack overnight bags for yourself and your family, and include sleepwear, changes of clothes, toiletries and portable electronics.
- Pack items you will need immediately in clear plastic tubs to make them and their contents easy to identify.
- Label every box by content and the room it goes into. Number boxes by room, and keep a list so you will know immediately whether anything is missing.
- Pack each box full, placing heavier items on the bottom.
- Do not mix items from different rooms in one box.
- Keep contents of drawers intact by using press and seal wrap. This strategy also works with jewelry and other items.
- Use small plastic bags to store hinges and other hardware from furniture, pictures, mirrors and more. Label each one with what item it goes with to make set-up easier.
- Always use packing tape, not duct tape, and seal every box.
- Place heavy items, such as books, in small, sturdy boxes.
Arriving at Your New Home
- Try to arrive before your movers, and use that time to clean bathrooms and kitchens.
- Have your movers and packers place boxes and furniture in the appropriate rooms.
- Select an area in each room for boxes to be placed, giving yourself space to set up furniture and unpack.
Get a Free Moving, Packing and Storage Quote Today!
Movers and Shakers are full service packing, moving and storage experts. We will safely transport your belongings to your new home, whether it’s across the Bay or the world. Contact us today for a free quote or call 877-797-4253 to talk details with one of our representatives.